We are pleased welcome you to the YMCA. The health and safety of our members, staff and volunteers has been and continues to be our top priority. That’s why we have a number of measures in place that all members should be aware of. Please read our Communicable Disease Plan before visiting the YMCA.
YMCA Health & Safety and Member Etiquette Guidelines
Members are responsible for their personal conduct. For your health and safety, as well as the safety of other members and staff, please adhere to the following guidelines:
Health & Safety
- Do not enter the YMCA if you display symptoms of illness, have been ordered to self-isolate due to health reasons or have had close contact with a person who has a communicable illness.
- If you are observed with symptoms of illness or appear to be feeling unwell, a YMCA staff member may ask you to leave the facility
- Ensure you use hand sanitizer or properly wash your hands while at the YMCA.
- Please clean and disinfect all fitness equipment before and after use
- Appropriate athletic attire and footwear must be worn at all times
- Members and guests must identify themselves upon request by a staff member
- Please limit your time on equipment to 30 minutes or to designated booking times
- Please put weights and equipment away when you are finished
- Do not rest on equipment
- Allow others to work in and share equipment if done in a safe manner
- Do not drop weights on the fitness floor
- Offensive language and profanity are not tolerated
- Please keep all clothing, bags and other sports equipment in a locker or designated spaces
- Water is the only beverage permitted in the gymnasium, fitness studios and strength and conditioning areas
- Some restrictions apply to members 19 years and under; please see the fitness kiosk for details
Members must follow staff directions all times. Please report any concerns or unacceptable behaviour to a YMCA staff member immediately.
YMCA Code of Conduct
YMCA BC is committed to providing a safe and welcoming environment for all members, participants, staff and volunteers. Members are encouraged to be responsible for their personal conduct and safety and to ask any person whose behaviour threatens their personal comfort to refrain.
The YMCA does not tolerate language or actions that fall below a generally accepted standard of conduct. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Verbal abuse, hurtful or humiliating comments, jokes or taunting about a person's age, race, ancestry, colour, place of origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical or mental disability, family status, marital status or political beliefs
- Refusal to share the facility with a group or individual based on any of the reasons listed above
- Display of racist or sexually explicit pictures
- Intimidation, such as stalking or staring
- Unnecessary and unwelcome physical contact
- Repeated unwelcome sexual invitations or sexual invitations accompanied by threats of reprisal or promises of rewards
- Members are required to follow the current YMCA Health & Safety and Member Etiquette to create a safe environment for everyone and prevent the spread of illness to staff and other members
Please report any concerns or inappropriate behaviour to a YMCA staff member immediately.
Best Practices for Cleaning Fitness Equipment